Historic Mill District
Design Guidelines Meeting #3 - October 18, 2017
Presentations from our Public Meetings
Couldn't make the meetings? Public Meeting # 2 - July 13, 2017
We got you covered, watch what happened here!
Public Meeting # 1 - May 18, 2017
At Town Meeting in May of 2015, Andover voters overwhelming approved the creation of the Historic Mill District (HMD). This new zoning district encompasses nearly one hundred (100) acres between Main Street, Dundee Park, the Shawsheen River and Whole Foods Grocery Store. The purpose of the HMD is to encourage smart growth development in proximity to Andover’s regional transit station by fostering a range of housing opportunities within mixed-use development projects.
In order to help guide Andover’s Vision for future development within the HMD, the new bylaw allows for the development of design guidelines that are intended to help preserve and augment the HMD’s architectural qualities, historic character, and scale. Seeking to build off the momentum and support of Town Meeting voters, the Board of Selectmen have established the Historic Mill District Task Force (Fall 2016), to assist in the development of design guidelines.
On January 26, 2017, the Town of Andover, under the leadership of the HMD Task Force, made available an RFP for selection of an architecture and urban design firm to assist the Town in developing design guidelines for the HMD. The goal of the design guidelines are to preserve and augment the Historic Mill District’s architectural qualities, historic character and pedestrian scale.
Following selection of a consultant in early March, the Task Force plans to host a series of community conversations to engage area residents, businesses and community leaders as to their thoughts for the district. The public meetings are targeted for late March/early April with notice being available on the Town website and Andover Townsman.
- Andover Smart Growth Overlay Market Study (PDF)
- Andover Village National Register Historic District Plan (PDF)
- Cecil Group Presentation to the Board of Selectmen and Planning Board - December 10, 2012 (PDF)
- Cecil Group Presentation to the Board of Selectmen and Planning Board - January 7, 2013 (PDF)
- Essex Street Corridor Study, Prepared by VHB - October 5, 2005 (PDF)
- Preliminary Engineering - Commuter Rail Stations, Prepared by Frederic R Harris, Inc - January 2001
- Study Area - June 30, 2009 (PDF)
- Town Yard Revitalization, Prepared by Paul Finger Associates - December 5, 2007 (PDF)
- Town Yard Task Force Presentation and Recommendations - July 2008 (PDF)