Building Inspection Responsibilities
The Building Division is charged with the enforcement of the State Building 780 CMR of the Acts of 1972 and Zoning Act, Massachusetts General Laws 40A and all other applicable laws and regulations including applicable sections of the Andover Code (Demolition Bylaw, the Ballardvale Historic District Bylaw and the Chimney Cap Bylaw). The Building Division issues permits for all types of construction including, but not limited to:
- Additions and alterations to all structures
- Commercial and industrial buildings
- Institutional buildings (nursing homes)
- Multi-family as well as single family dwellings
- School buildings (both public and private)
Building officials also perform periodic inspections for those buildings, which are required to obtain Certificates of Inspection under State Building Code, Table 108.